Wednesday 11 January 2012

A Week With The iPhone 4

There is no point in denying that I am a huge fan of Nokia. As a matter of fact, since I got my first mobile phone 6 years ago back in 2006, I have owned exactly 9 Nokia phones. From mid range ones like the E70, N81 8Gb, and E66, to flagships like the N97, N8, and recently the N9. But life should never be viewed from a single angle. You will end up missing out if you stay sheltered from new things, and this is exactly why when my dear mother decided she wanted to sell her iphone 4 due to some issues she had with calling, I stepped in and kept it with me for as long as it would take to sell it. It stayed with me for seven days, and during that period, I used it as a primary phone. This was not my first encounter with iOS, as I am quite familiar with it because of how many ipod touch 4s we have here at home. But it was the first time I used it intensively and so I decided to share with you all what the iphone does brilliantly, and where it lacks, from my point of view at least compared to Nokia, and even android. I do have to mention that the white iphone 4 I used was running on iOS 5.01. So, here is my list.



What I liked:

- Build quality and Design
The iphone has a sleek industrial design. Made out of 2 layers of glass, with metal in between, theres no mistaking an iphone for anything else (Except for perhaps the iphone XL..err, I mean Galaxy S2 :p ) It feels great in the hand.

- Stability
Unless you are one of the very few unfortunate people, iOS remains stable almost at all times. No lag, no hangs, and barely any slow downs. Remains smooth through out the whole UI. Just don't jailbreak it.

- Wifi Coverage
The iphone 4 managed to get wifi signal in rooms no other phone I have used could, and that's saying something!

- Simplicity
iOS is the most simple smartphone OS in my opinion.  No home screens, just a scrollable grid of icons. Can't get any simpler than that.

- Endless sea of apps 
There is almost literally nothing you could possible think of that isn't available in the app store. With over 500,000 apps, there's always "an app for that!"


What I loved:


- Games
If you are a hardcore gamer, then the iphone should definitely be on your list. It has more games than any other platform, from basic addictive games like fall down, to graphically marvelous games like infinite blade 2, the app store has what you need. This is also possibly the only thing that could possibly lure me in to maybe one day owning an iphone. (j/k, I have amazing self restrain :p ) This is the biggest advantage the iphone has (at least for me).


What I hated: 


- Restrictions
There really doesn't need much explanation. The iphone is too dependent on iTunes, and customisation is extremely limited.

- Complete Dependency on Apps
Maybe I am a bit spoiled by Nokia, but the iphone doesn't come pre-loaded with a lot of basic things. You will literally have to download everything you need from the app store.

- Silly Little Things
Although iOS is very basic, it does feel sometimes stupid. The most annoying thing I personally found was that you can't mark all contacts to delete them. Same goes with messages. Why do I have to connect my phone to iTunes to do something as simple as deleting contacts?

- Slippery, Can't Withstand Drops
The fantastic design and build quality of the iphone 4 comes with a great cost. First, the ergonomics. The iphone does not sit very well in your hands due to the lack of rounded sides. It always feels like it might slip anytime, and the fact that its made of glass does not help its cause at all. Not only is glass slippery, it also shatters easily, and we have plenty of examples out there on the web if you would like to check them out. 



Verdict


The perfect phone for the common folks. Sleek, has no learning curve at all, and the apps cover all your needs. But if you're into customization, mods, features, look else where.



No comments:

Post a Comment