Friday 2 November 2012

What I learned from my short hands-on with the Lumia 920

Today, Nokia UAE on facebook posted pictures of their stand in JBR Dubai showing the Lumia 920. So, being the tech geek that I am, I just had to be there and check it out. So what did I learn from this short encounter?

1- The weight is not as much of an issue as some websites are claiming it to be.

Yes, the Lumia 920 is a heavy phone. But the moment you hold it in your hand, it will not bother you. The weight gives the phone a very expensive feel and is distributed evenly on the device. This makes phones like the 808 PureView actually feel heavier when holding. The curved back and sides of the phone also make it fit nicely in the hand, and from my short time holding the device, it actually felt easier to hold than the 900, despite being bigger. ( Curved back to be thanked for that ). I even made my Galaxy S3-carrying cousin hold the phone and use it, and he had no complaints.

2- All the colours looked great.


If you've seen pictures of the phone, you might think some of the colours (yellow and red, I'm looking at you!) are a bit over the top. Not to say that they aren't, but in real life, they look nicer and not as bright as some of the pictures. I can't seem to be able to pick a personal favourite, but I'm going with yellow because its very unique to the Lumia 920. White, red, and black all looked fantastic too. Grey was nowhere to be found, unfortunately.





3-The matte finish has been improved over the Lumia 900.

If you go for black ( or grey, or even cyan if you're on AT&T ), the matte finish feels nicer than the one on the Lumia 900. Its smoother. Not as smooth as the N9, but somewhere in between both. I like it more than both. It's still a fingerprint magnet though, and fingerprints are much more obvious on it than on the glossy colours.


4-Windows Phone 8 flies.

While WP7.5 phones used to cover up the delay with animations, WP8 doesn't need that anymore. You can immediately feel the big difference in speed when opening any application. No more long waits to open some apps.



5-It has a gorgeous screen.

Blacks might not be as black as on AMOLED displays such as the one found on the 900, but the clarity and accuracy of the colours are top notch. The screen is bright, and the text is very crisp. Easily one of the best displays currently out there. PureMotion HD+ looks great in action.


6-Super sensitive display is very real.

For fun, I actually tried using my 808 to scroll on the 920's homescreen. It worked like magic!

7-Optical Image Stabilisation works

I tried shaking the device and moving it as fast as I can ( extremely unrealistic scenario ) and it still beat me. Blur was actually nowhere to be found. Impressive.


Overall, I have nothing but positive things to say about the device. All my expectations on hardware are met and I personally can't wait till my 920 arrives. A lot of issues might arise with day to day usage, but that can only be determined later.

Nokia desperately needed a special phone to fight the competition, and I personally think the 920 is that phone that will help them rise from the ashes. Its beautiful, its innovative, and its different. Thank you Nokia for restoring my excitement in new technology. The phone industry needs players like you.

2 comments:

  1. You're really expecting the retarded pro iphone/android techno blogs to say windows phone is actually better? The weight is not an issue. You'll see when you get one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Find me a phone that has OIS, wireless charging, a sturdy polycarbonate body that keeps its colour, a 4.5" screen with PureMotion HD+ and super sensitive display and a nearly impossible to scratch ceramic camera plate that weighs anything less than we'll talk.

    ReplyDelete